For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future - Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, March 19, 2011

El Salvador

I was out of the country for 10 days on a mission trip with the Methodist Student Network (MSN) at USC. We went to Ahuachapán, El Salvador. For most people, you come back from a mission trip on a "high" feeling like you can conquer the world and some even feel guilty coming back to the lavish lifestyle in the United States. When I returned from my trip last year from Brazil, I definitely felt this way, yet that was my first mission trip. Since then, I have had the opportunity to travel to several Latin American countries apart from a church trip and live (more or less) like a native.

So, how did this affect my trip this year to El Salvador? Well, firstly, I had more responsibility on this trip planning and orchestrating vacation bible school for the native niños.  I was more able to see the inter-workings and planning of mission trips. I appreciate the trip much more knowing all that I do. Also, I was equally as affected but not as shocked by the poverty we saw in El Salvador, specifically Ahuachapán.

Now aware of my call to ministry, I was more inquisitive about how the United Methodist Church operates in El Salvador, as we worked very closely with 3 UM churches and the President of the UMC. My favorite part was worshiping in Spanish. This makes me feel so close to God and reminds me that He is global yet universally the same. It's so incredible! There was one night in particular where I felt the very real, raw, beautiful presence of God. This is what I would love to see in every place of worship.

There are not enough words to describe the wonderful country of El Salvador, a country filled with blue&white, volcanoes, and pupusas. There is definitely something beautiful happening in El Salvador.
 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven" -Matthew 6:1

No comments:

Post a Comment